Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tool # 11

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.

My favorite tools are the ones that allow me to download video clips. In teaching chemistry it is extremely important to show visual representations of concepts. Even though videos are very important in teaching chemistry, they must also be used with a tool, such as Google Docs, to encourage students to comment on the video presentation. Students can not just watch they must participate.

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?

I think the most important thing is to change me before I change what is happening in the classroom. There is such a large number of possible tools for teaching that a cursory glance in the tool chest is not going to make me an expert. I first have to experiment with most of the tools for a while so that I can in a  sense understand all that can be done. Once I have all the tools organized in my head, I plan to create more lessons where the students work on their own and are evaluated by their peers. There are endless possibilities for self assessment. My vision for my classroom has not changed; I still want students to learn to the best of their abilities and become self motivated. I have more educational aids than before but the mission is still the same.

3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

I think most teachers agree that this process was more time consuming than advertised. To really give each tool the proper amount of time, was nearly impossible. Some tools required a very high degree of concentration and examination. This takes time. After I stopped talking to myself after a couple of sleepless nights, I realized that I was slightly more tech savvy. 

1 comment:

  1. Indeed it takes time - and we have so little of that these days!!

    ReplyDelete